Braces


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Adult in Braces = Beware!

I've been really lucky since May 26th, the day I was first braced. Hard to imagine that being true, of course - but sometime it's takes the misery of others to prove how easy we have it.

Got braced May 26th. Was (and still am) unable to chew properly, but that's a whole 'nother story!

July 13th went in for spacers. Had almost ZERO problems with them! How awesome is that?! They made me sore, and I only forgot not to floss between those teeth once.

July 20th went in for a mold of my top teeth. Easily the most intense and horrible dental experience I've ever had. I've never been more horrified or affected by something.

Since I've been braced I have only not flossed twice. Pat and I decided once a month is an acceptable "I don't want to floss tonight" limit. It's been two months - I've used both. What am I gonna save it up for? Not like I can go on travel without there being severe issues with having fun and eating!

I have discovered that alcohol and/or not drinking a metric ton of water is painful. Dehydration is one of my biggest fears. Within moments of waking up the brackets have rubbed my cheeks sore.

I tried chewing food I (apparently) shouldn't have and ended up breaking two brackets. One on chicken nuggets (Wendy's June 20th - Rancho Cucamonga for my birthday) and one that next weekend on tater tots. Because the ortho was out of town and my appointment was in a few weeks they decided to wait.

They still haven't re-done them yet. With all the work I had done this week, the ortho decided to wait. I've got a lot going on in my mouth right now.

In the mean time I eat rice, panang curry with shredded chicken, slimfast shakes, biscuits fresh out of the oven with honey and butter! microwavable veggie packs with zucchini and carrots.

I eat soups of all kinds (Split pea, cream of mushroom, cream of potato with lots of crackers soaked in it), and english muffins cut in to mushable sized pieces.

I asked my technician about build ups/bite turbos and she really recommended against them, though she maintained it was my decision. She said if I could be adult about not chewing on what I shouldn't - she'd stay away from them, if she was me.

Since she's in braces as well, I took her word for it and went 100% for the "I'm an adult, I don't have to chew to have a good time". Apparently though, half the fun of eating comes from chewing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god! It seems like it is going to be a little difficult after I get braces. I really want to fix my teeth. They are not pretty at all. I have a gummy smile and I hate it. I shouldn’t be scared at this time. I also trust my dentist Hermosa Beach from whom I am getting this thing done. I just hope my life is still easy after that because I really love to eat.

    ReplyDelete