Braces


Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pendulum First 3 Days

I got my pendulum in on Tuesday, July 27th. While the actual procedure itself went fine, the aftermath is amazingly difficult to deal with.

The Procedure:

I went in, sat down, and they took out the spacers and placed metal molar bands on my upper molars, except the last two on either side. Bands are metal and actually encircle the molars and are glued on.

Then they placed the pad on the top of my mouth and attached the wires and springs. At some point I got to rinse the glue taste out and I remember thinking "DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!??!?!"

Here's a picture of someone elses pendulum once installed: http://www.kidbraces.com/appliances.htm#pendulum

They said I'd need to get used to the appliance, but I had already done my homework, and the general concensus of these pendulums is that they are medieval torture devices. So far, I agree wholeheartedly!

The aftermath:

It's hard to swallow without your tongue on the top of your mouth. And since there's something semi-permanently stuck up there right now, it makes it hard. My tongue is super swollen and you can easily tell where the holes from the appliance have cut away the first layer of skin.

My first attempt at eating was soup. It went fairly well but took me forever. Second attempt was rum and diet coke and let's face it - that went fairly well and made me sleepy so it was easier to relax.

I have a hard time saying need/greed, and for some reason "Terry is doing vouchers". Certain sound combinations cause me to gag when my tongue hits the back portion of the appliance. I'm certain I'll become used to it, but from what I've read, it takes about two months.

Swallowing is second nature unless you have something the size of a small child stuck to the roof of your mouth. Suddenly, what should be natural causes one to gag and feel as if they were drowning in their own saliva. Yay for panic attacks regarding drowning. Cause I don't already have THAT nightmare regularly.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I talked a bunch at work (mistake number one) and was unable to catch my breath and swallow for a good 30 minutes. Leading to a severely upset and overwhelmed Bee!!

I went home for lunch and tried my second attempt at eating. This time was solid foods! Did canned corn beef hash and eggs. It was a mistake. I was able to eat it, slowly - but it was way to much tongue movement, and I was still unable to catch my breath. Each swallow took so long to set up and attempt that I was out of breath just trying not to inhale spit.

I stayed home the rest of the day and tried to practice breathing and swallowing. I found that by pushing my tongue fairly hard against the pendulum/where the roof of my mouth should be, swallowing comes more easily. However, this morning I have a side effect of this that will eventually require me to cut off my tongue.

Pressing my tongue against this satanic tool of torture has caused indents in my tongue from where the appliance is (see first paragraph in this area). You can literally see largish holes in my tongue where the skin has been rubbed away. The skin rubbed away is still hanging to the rest of my tongue and it's super gross.

I'm focusing very hard on breathing, swallowing, not talking, and being at least a little productive. The productivity comes and goes, but the breathing and swallowing requires constant attention!

I tried putting wax on the pendulum hole that is most offending my poor tongue but now there's just wax between the roof of my mouth and this thing. Anbesol helped a little bit, and I'm trying to stay hydrated so the rest of my mouth doesn't get chewed up.

I'll have soup for lunch today, and will try some warm salt water rinses. Someone recommended some diluted peroxide which I'll try later. For now though, it's just a constant struggle to stay upbeat and happy.

If ONE MORE person says "This will all be worth it when your teeth are straight" it won't be pretty. :(

1 comment:

  1. Two months ago i got my braces, and a week later i got this thing on the roof of my mouth that is metal or something. I didn't know what it is, but one of my friends heard me complaining about how hard it is to eat. She said "Oh a pendulum (or something) i've had that before, it's horrible" i agree with her i guess it is a pendulum, but it doesn't look like the one in the pictures but it is causing me severe irritation. I can't eat correctly and i sleep w/ my mouth closed so it presses against my tounge at night and leaves a huge indintation ( i think i spelled that wrong) on it. It's so bad, that you can clearly see the shape of it on my tounge, it cuts too! Its hard to eat, and from what i heard, it has to last 6 months :( i have a dentist appointment coming up so i'll complain to them and see what advice they give me. I so agree to when you say...
    "If ONE MORE person says "This will all be worth it when your teeth are straight" it won't be pretty. :("
    I hate it when people say that,it's so damn annoying like you don't know how much pain i'm going through, and i don't think i'm old as you, you sound like and adult, i'm just in highschool and i'm dying. :O

    ReplyDelete